Chicken Liver and Darby Creek

I finally got to throw a line in the water at the Tinicum Marsh. I planned on spending a lot more time down there, but as has been a recurring theme this season, I was rained out last weekend. There actually was a few hour window where it wasn’t raining, so I got to fish for about an hour on Sunday. Technically, I wasn’t fishing in the marsh, but in Darby Creek, which is on the other side of the dyke that runs along the west bank of the marsh. I was there for about an hour before the flies, attracted by the chicken liver bait, became completely unbearable and rain returned. That was enough time to catch the fellow below, which I can’t identify much better than saying its a sunny.

I found myself down at the marsh again today. And again I came with chicken liver. This time the weather was much better and the creek was at its low-tide low. It looks like the creek is about 4 feet deep or so at the boat lunch during high tide and about 4 inches during low tide. I was pretty blown away when I came upon it today. I walked up the trail a bit and found a spot were there were some rocks exposed by the tidal low. I planted myself there and fished a 3 or 4 foot pool of water that managed to hold more or less every fish in Darby Creek during low tide, or so it seemed. I exaggerate not — I got a bite on my line *every time* it hit the water for about 2 hours. The creek, or at least this tidal pool during low tide, is filled with a vast array of minnows, sun fish, rock bass, and apparently at least one healthy sized cat fish.

I would usually try to get the line and bait into the middle, deepest part of the pool. But within about 30 seconds the hook would be stripped clean by lesser sized minnows and small sunfish whose mouths were too small to get caught up with the hook. This was actually somewhat of an impediment. I really was looking to catch the guy in the pic above but it was difficult due to the proundly large number of smaller, abundant fish that would get to the bait before the larger fish (which I could see swimming by) would get to it. I stopped counting at 8 catches. After about 2.5 hours, my supply of chicken liver was exhausted and I clearly had more than enough mud, blood, and chicken liver on my clothes to call it a day. 


This entry was posted in Around Town, Fishing Trips, Nature. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>